What is Prelude?
- Prelude is a charity fan film that takes place just before the first Silent Hill game. The events in the film are from a collection of notes and mentions throughout the game that where never fully told. Prelude is meant to enrich your Silent Hill experience not only for long time fans but for people who want to get into the series for the first time.
What made you want to work on a Silent Hill film?
- Some would say I have had an unhealthy obsession with the series ever since it came out in 1999 but only when Silent Hill 2 came out that I truly grasped the series. It's complex storytelling was much easier to understand as the games went on but the first game always stuck with me and I had to beat it multiple times just to understand what just happened. When I would play the games I always played them as if I was watching a movie.
How did the idea of Prelude come about? Did you have additional ideas for a Silent Hill film or was it always going to be a prequel?
- At first Prelude was going to be Silent Hill 1, but after looking at what the budget would have been, it wasn't going to happen. So I thought about how many times that story has been told. I wanted something new within the original games timeline and I remember having all these questions about the first game. So I started making notes and doing homework on the event's that happened before the game and that kind of turned into Prelude.
It’s awesome that you’re making this for charity too, was this always the plan?
- In a way, yes. I have a long history with the franchise and it's helped me through some tough times in my life and I knew I wanted to be able to give back or "pay it forward" if you will.
What would you say is going to be the hardest challenge you expect to come across when making this film?
- The biggest challenge so far is raising the money to produce Prelude and the time we get to make it. Everything honestly comes down to money, sadly. If we don't raise the full ammount it will take a lot longer to produce and will not look as good as we would like but still doable.
Will there be any surprises that fans can look forward to?
- Haha! Absolutely! The poster alone is riddled with clues about the opening sequence. There are lots of nods and cameos from other games but don't fret, everything still fits within the original Silent Hill timeline.
How can the fans get involved?
- The fans can help by donating on our Indiegogo page or simply spread the word around about the film. One of our perks is just $5 and your name will be in the credits knowing that YOU made this film possible not only for Silent Hill fans but for charity as well.
Will you be selling any merchandise for the film?
- Yes! We are in the works for adding a merchandise page on our website where you can get Posters, Shirts and who knows what else we can get our hands on. We will also be doing some giveaways for the fans during our live events on Twitch.tv.
Kim Coat’s is interested in the film, how did that happen?
- Kim is interested but as I said before, it all comes down to money. We have a bunch of big Hollywood actors we have been reaching out too and the number one problem is money. These guys are union and need to get paid and can not work on projects unless they are insured. I approached Kim during a convention as I was trying to spread the word around Prelude. I pitched the idea of him returning to play Gucci and that his story would follow the games. He was excited and gave me his agents number saying he would be interested.
- As for Bryan Cranston, it's the same kind of thing. We would love for him to play Jim Bennett (Cybil's Dad) when we redo the intro to the film. But like I said, it all comes down to funding.
Although Prelude is at the early stages right now, do you have any plans for any other Silent Hill projects in the future?
- It all depends on how well Prelude does. I see Prelude as part 1 in a Silent Hill trilogy. It would go Prelude, Silent Hill and then Silent Hill 3. So if I ever get the chance, I'd love to do a complete movie trilogy but I'm happy with Prelude just being a stand alone movie like what Ubisoft did with Assassin's Creed Lineage. We really hope to become an "Official" fan film with Prelude.
Finally a few questions just for fun.
Who is your favorite Character out of all of Silent Hill and why?
- Tough question. I'd have to say Harry Mason. His love for his wife and Cheryl are so strong that he will risks anything for them.
Favorite Silent Hill game?
-Yeah, I'm going to have to be cliche and say Silent Hill 2. It was the one that really dragged me into the series
And describe Silent Hill in 140 characters or less.
- Silent Hill is a town that shows you who you truly are and exposes the truth.
If you want to find out more about Prelude check out their Facebook, Website and Indiegogo campaign.
Also for those still wanting more check out Whitney of Silent Hill Historical Society's podcast with the Edward.